There are many online tools for SEO and SEM, but Google Adwords Suite is the most universally used, from keyword searches to analytics, with advanced options available for a fee. According to Digital Media Ninja Steve Blount, “The more ‘relevant’ your page [using SEO-enriched content], the more closely your content matches the keywords and long-tail phrases consumers enter, which means the higher up your site link will appear in the Google list of results.” As discussed in the previous blog “Building your business with SEO,” higher search engine rankings increase traffic driven to your site and ultimately your overall bottom line. “When you’re in a very competitive business – say specializing in selling cruises in a larger city with many competitors,” adds Blount, “consider using SEM and pay-per-click ads to make sure your message appears on the first page of the search engine results.”
To help you successfully build your business using SEO and SEM tactics, Amadeus has compiled the following tips and strategies to help build your travel business’ online presence, drive traffic, generate leads, enhance exposure, improve your organic and SEM rankings, increase conversions and profits and much more.
1. Make sure your site works on smartphones and tablets, and consider an Android/iPhone app, since mobile device use has increased significantly. Learn all the tools included with your integrated platform.
2. Develop a unique, voice and content style that’s written specifically for your audience using keyword- and long-tail-phrase-enriched copy.
3. Add video to your site. YouTube is the No. 2 search engine (ahead of Bing), and since Google owns it, video content hosted on YouTube improves your page rank in searches. Plus, it’s a powerful way to communicate the excitement and beauty of travel through visual stimulation.
4. Don’t copy and paste content, like destination or hotel write-ups from other sites. It may be illegal and according to Blount, “it ‘duplicates’ content found elsewhere on the Web, which causes Google to lower your website ranking.”
5. Update your site often with fresh content. “Google spiders read your content often and increases rankings for websites that are updated often,” Blount says. Make sure that you have a strong integrated online platform that allows all channels to communicate effectively with one another.
6. Avoid “stuffing,” which is repeating keywords too often. Average mention is three times per page.
7. Include page titles, as well as tag site images and videos with your keywords and phrases.
8. Add a site map to your website and submit it to Google, which helps Google spiders read it and increase your search engine ranking – and faster than without a site map.
9. Use SEM by out-bidding competitors for Google Ad listings to drive traffic to your site.
10. Measure site performance by installing Google Analytics or the Adobe Marketing Cloud tools. “Track keywords, visits, time on page and sales to see what keywords and what Web paths they take attract people to buy,” adds Blount.
Your online platforms should be integrated so you can easily control them and see how they work together to bring visitors to your site and drive sales.
How has SEO helped increase your business results and profits?